- Client :
- Category :
- Project Url :
- Date :21/11/2019
Under article 12 of the UNFCCC all parties (countries ratified the convention) are required to prepare and submit a national communication including national green-house gas inventory. Development of TNC will enable parties to fulfill the commitments under the UNFCCC by enabling it to prepare its Third National Communication (TNC) in accordance with the Guidelines for the Preparation of National Communications from non-Annex I Parties (17/CP.8) adopted by the Conference of Parties (COP) to the UNFCCC, and to strengthen the National Communication process.
Under Article 12 of the Convention, Parties are required to report all efforts it takes to mitigate climate change. The Third National Communication report would include all efforts undertaken to mitigate climate change. This includes all steps that have been undertaken or planned, to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
SCS assisted Government of Fiji, Nauru and Cook Islands to develop the GHG inventory and Mitigation Analysis component under its Third National Communications (TNC) reporting requirement to the UNFCCC. This included:
- Comprehensive review of the GHGI under the Second National Communications (SNC) and consultant reports to identify gaps and the existing key source categories for respective sectors.
- Take a national stock-take of all the emission sources (activity data and emission factors) of major category gases to fill the data gaps.
- Hold stakeholder meetings and training programme to introduce IPCC methodologies and to develop the capacity within the respective ministries for data archiving program and procedures.
- Data collection and surveys from different stakeholders will then be used to compile data and information required for calculation.
- Using the IPCC 2006 GHGI software tool/modules to calculate the emissions of greenhouse gas from different sectors for period 2006-2012.
- Carry out uncertainty assessment following the established guidelines.
- Presentation of preliminary GHGI report results to the stakeholders and the GHGI thematic working group.
- Incorporate comments received from the presentation to finalise and submit Chapter on National Greenhouse Inventory Report (NIR).
- Submit the NIR.
- Submit the executive summary for the GHGI chapter for TNC.
- Provide documentation for methods used and assumptions made and if needed a national manual of procedures for the inventory.
- Provide recommendations for improving the national inventory system.
- Collection and review all relevant documents, including national and regional policies, plans and strategies.
- Visit to all relevant stakeholders to collect information on past, present and planned mitigation activities.
- Identification of all potential mitigation options for each sector listed in the GHG inventory.
- Screening of mitigation options against criteria including cost, potential GHG savings, environmental impacts, social/cultural acceptability etc.
- Prioritization of mitigation options for each sector and categorize as long, medium and short term priorities.
- Based on data from the GHG inventory, as well as socio-economic information preparation of a series of mitigation scenarios. This will include a baseline scenario, whereby current trends continue, as well as at least two other scenarios showing how emissions may decrease if mitigation actions are taken.
- Preparation of brief mitigation project profiles for possible future implementation
- Preparation of a brief report, including all the findings from the above activities.
- Provide a draft report on the mitigation analysis chapter for TNC.